Google+ Followers

Sunday, 27 July 2014

A Frustrating Development

So the other day I took a gentle stroll to a cove near to home with my camera at sunset. I was set to creating some photos taking advantage of the colour and light of the setting sun. There were numerous scenes that I wanted so I methodically went about setting up my tripod, the hot shoe bubble level for my horizon and for each scene I adjusted and readjusted the compositions until I was happy. At this stage of each respective scene, I was now ready to attach a graduated and a standard filter and set my camera for some long exposures. 

After a few shots I would naturally check my capture on the rear screen and by and large I was pleased with them. It was only after I'd uploaded them to the laptop did I see the problem.

Review of my captured images showed that one of my filters (later determined to be my standard filters; 0.6 and 0.9 ND) had physical blemishes that well and truly showed up on the images.

Not a happy bunny. 

Despite my near-obsession to maintain and properly store my filters it seems that these two had somehow been overlooked and ended being scratched and pock marked. 


Nikon D7000, Nikkor 16-85mm @ 16mm, 0.8s @ f11, ISO 100
 

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 16-85mm @ 22mm, 13.0s @ f22, ISO 100


Nikon D7000, Nikkor 16-85mm @ 16mm, 10.0s @ f4.5, ISO 100


Nikon D7000, Nikkor 16-85mm @ 16mm, 25.0s @ f5.0, ISO 100

The upshot is that I'm now looking to replace those standard filters and upgrade my landscape kit. So staying positive.